Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

OK so I have been pondering the future of this enterprise and mulling over exactly what should be the focus of this blog/ future website. I may be wrong but it seems to me that most "blogs" on St. Louis food focus on reviews that are neither exciting nor all that well written. A full review is only possible after dining at a restaurant several times - I believe 4 times is standard for food criticism. It takes a few times to decide if a restaurant is great, which gets to be both expensive and time consuming and to be honest, not all that interesting if you're just musing over some sort of meat, starch vegetable combination that was most likely delicious but neither exciting nor innovative. I think what I'm trying to say is that I think that most of the big name restaurants in St. Louis (most but not all) churn out very tasty dishes that are comfortable. Trends in general take a long time to break through to St. Louis (if they manage to do so at all is sometimes a miracle) but that is also what is so great about this city. We have the potential to spark great things but the unfortunate reality is that St. Louisans are not always receptive to the cutting edge. This is nothing new. We sealed our fate with cotton and the Mississippi and paid the price. Chicago got the skyscrapers and we got a stainless steel arch. I'm saying I'll take it.

Stay tuned for next week's first real post on... The Great Donut Hunt!

No comments: